Spain in January

Monday, October 4, 2010

Ben Lamond or bust




Purportedly the best ride in northern Utah, I convinced Dana Johnson to arise early and give the skyline trail that rises out of North Ogden Canyon a try.  It is all single track so it was too intimidating for our sons; Marshall and Davis.  After witnessing the trail first hand there are some areas of steep side slopes that fall all the way to the bottom of Ogden which may not be for the faint of heart or inexperienced.  The trail was constructed for hikers so the majority of the innumerable switchbacks were three point terns for motorcycles.  Why this trail is so cool is that it rises out of the canyon up to the Wasatch spine and then up the back side of Ben Lamond Peak.  We briskly rode the first 8 miles up to the last pitch to the top. We were passing hikers with some trepidation recognizing that they come to the high country for solace and silence which is abruptly broken by 2 thumpers.  At the last push to the top, the switchbacks came too fast, too steep  and too rocky.  I flipped the bike over backwards and broke off my left turn signal.  It was also a sign that this old man was wrung out.  Dana proceeded to the top while I attempted to walk. Dana is a good chap to let an old man ride with him.  My failure to reach the summit is still grinding on me, and I am anxious to go back so that I can prove to myself that I am not 53.  In spite of the mishap this is a great trail and I would likewise testify that it is one of the best in northern Utah.


Me and Dana about half way 
Great view of the trail on the upper ridges
In the lower left you can see the trail coming out of the trees. On the other side of the stand of trees is a section that is adjacent to a cliff that drops to forever.  You hold on tight and focus on the trail in front of you and ignore exposure


views to Wyoming
One too many switchbacks caused me to leave parts on the trail 
Dosn't look so bad right?  I need to try it again before the snow flies.  Any one want to come along?

No comments:

Post a Comment